Ten simple ways to get healthier skin (without having to buy any expensive products)
Skin care starts with how we nourish ourselves both on and off the plate, which means we don't always have to buy expensive (and sometimes harmful/chemical filled) products!
Let's look at a few ways we can improve our skin health this year 💛
1. Hydrate- one of the easier steps we can take to flush out toxins, and get glowing skin, is to make sure we are staying hydrated throughout the day! Drinking water, and limiting sugary beverages, is a great place to start for healthier skin
2. Add in colorful veggies- not only are veggies great for our bodies and overall wellbeing, they're also great for our skin health! Adding in a variety of different colored vegetables can help ensure you're getting the nutrients you need to feel healthy inside and out
3. Look into your current beauty products- take a look at the current products you are currently using, whether that be body wash, face wash, lotion, sunscreen, or any kind of makeup, and consider looking into the ingredients that they contain. A tool I like to use is https://www.ewg.org/, which is a site where you can look up products and see what ingredients they contain, and if these ingredients are safe to be using on your skin
4. Use sunscreen daily- it's recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation that we wear sunscreen every single day- even when it's cloudy! I recommend using the website mentioned above to find a clean sunscreen to use on a daily basis, but especially for days when you're out in the sun.
5. Add in some movement- adding in some movement, through workouts, walking, or even just dancing around the house, can support our mental health, as well as our physical health. Sweat is also said to play a role in healthy skin as it acts as a moisturizers, and helps to eliminate toxins, so if you're able to, consider adding some movement to your daily routine!
6. Sleep and rest- getting enough sleep, and taking time to rest when our body needs it, is an important act of self care, and plays a crucial role in skin health as sleep is when our body undergoes processes that allow our skin to heal and restore.
7. Try a cold shower- cold showers are said to help skin health by tightening pores and reducing redness, so if it feels right for you, try taking a cold shower, or just turning on some cold water for part of your shower!
8. Use stress relief techniques- whether it's going outside, meditating, journaling, or talking with a loved one, having ways of relieving stress is very important to our overall wellbeing, and skin health. You may notice that during more stressful periods in your life you tend to breakout more, or have other skin issues come up. This can be due to the stress itself (which can cause inflammation in our bodies) and it can also be due to the food and lifestyle choices we make when we're under lots of stress, so having a consistent and reliable stress relief technique is a wonderful way to support your skin health.
9. Limit inflammatory foods- as mentioned above, food plays an important role in our skin health. By limiting highly processed foods, or foods that are known to cause inflammation/oiliness (such as dairy), we can limit breakouts and take another step towards healthier and happier skin.
10. Eat nourishing fruits- much like veggies, fruits give our bodies important nutrients that become the building blocks of our health. Fruits that are full of antioxidants (such as berries) are also especially great for glowing and healthy skin!