Upgrade your smoothie with these 5 easy steps!
Smoothies are a wonderful way to get fruits, veggies, and nutrients into our diet! Whether you're having one with breakfast, or as an afternoon snack, here are 5 ways to make your smoothies better for your health, and your tastebuds! 👇🏼
1. Add a source of protein- I always recommend pea protein for smoothies because it's a great way to get protein in without altering the taste of your smoothie too much! Nut butters, such as almond or peanut, also work well to get the job done
2. Use ice/frozen fruit- if you like making thicker smoothies & bowls, don’t forget to add ice and/or frozen fruit to get that creamy texture! Frozen fruits are also said to be more nutrient dense and higher in antioxidants, making them a great choice for smoothies!
3. Add in a veggie (or two) - if you’re not a veggie fan, sneaking them into smoothies is a great way to get some into your diet without even realizing it! My favorite to add is frozen cauliflower, not only because of the many health benefits, but also because of how you can’t usually taste it once it’s in a smoothie!
4. Use seasonal produce- not only does shopping locally and seasonally help the environment and your wallet, it’s also a great way to help your body adjust to the change in seasons! Check out what's in season at your local grocery store or farmer's market, and experiment with different flavors and combinations!
5. Use toppings- Toppings can really take a smoothie to the next level- and there's so many to choose from! Peanut, almond or cashew butter, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, more fruit, or even nuts can make great toppings for a smoothie bowl!